Poly furniture refers to furniture made with high-density polyethylene (HDPE), one of the most versatile plastics available. Even though poly furniture will cost you more up front than furniture from a big box store, it’s well worth it in the end when you consider its durability, life expectancy and the many customizable options available. Here are some of the pros and cons of poly furniture that you may want to consider when you are on the market for new outdoor furniture.
- Environmentally-friendly - Contains a high level of recycled post-consumer waste, saving these materials from being disposed of in a landfill.
- Durability - Weather-resistant poly lumber is one of the longest-lasting products available.
- Unlimited color options – HDPE can be infused with any color, plus UV stabilizers are mixed in during the coloring process meaning that colors won’t fade in the elements.
- Versatile Design - Due to the nature of HDPE, it can be molded into any shape imaginable. This makes it suitable for any style, be it traditional or modern. It also lends itself well to embossed surface textures, such as wood grain.
- Maintenance-free – Outside of a quick spray down or wiping, poly furniture is virtually maintenance-free. It is resistant to the elements, does not rot or wear down, and can be left outside year-round, never having to repaint, waterproof or stain to retain its showroom appearance.
Higher initial cost – HDPE is more expensive than other plastics because it has a high strength-to-density ratio. However, given the long lifespan of the products, they definitely pay for themselves over time
Heavy – Poly furniture is heavy! It may likely require more than one person to move the pieces. This does keep it from blowing away, though!
Rigid – Poly furniture will not conform to the shape of your body, so be sure that the seat design you choose is comfortable to you.
Heat Retention – Furniture that has been exposed to the sun has the potential to be hot, especially darker colors. You may want to use a cover, cushions, or even a towel to avoid ending up in the hot seat!
Leave a Comment